Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
Quote:Could we please not get political?

It weren't me boss! I didn't do it. Not me boss.

More seriously, with repect to modern politcal axes, a thread such as this has about as much chance of remaining unscathed as Poland in a European war.

That the Greeks ("southern" or "city state") viewed Macedon as somewhat "other" (however you define that) is, to me, clear. Think of a Londoner sitting in a pub with an Orkney Islander. Snobbery - which I agree played a significant role - or whatever, the efforts of Macedonian monarchs to "Hellenise" or be seen as "Hellenic" smack of they "protesteth too much".

My only point in what was quoted above is whimsical: After the efforts of, for example, Alexander "Philihellene" and Archelaus, Philip II made himself Philip "First-Hellene". By the time Alexander III had finished his Theban demostration, the southern Greeks were well aware Alexander's Macedon was boss and that they were to be good Macedonian subjects.

Rather ironic given it had been, by repetitive turns, the plaything of Athens, Sparta, Thebes and the Chalcidian League
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by Paralus - 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM