Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eupolis, Old Comedy, and Hoplite Warfare
Quote:No, it's the yellow robe of Dionysus--(sorry, Giannis and I just worked this out on Fb and now I'm posting here for Greek speakers). Krokwton poikilon is Dionysus robe, and Phormio's military dress is "Tribwn" in every instance.

Useful to note that Eupolis should have known whereof he spoke---he apparently died in combat (or perhaps was thrown overboard from a trireme by Alcibiades for slander, but the real story seems to be that he died in a big sea fight in 408 or so)

Hey! It's "krokwton" the word! In fb you mistyped "krokrwton" and i couldn't be sure,but of course "krokwton" is certainly yellow from the flower "krokos".
I wonder if it's one more implication about the Athenian perception of yellow as an efeminate colour. Aristophanes puts another general running out of his house dressed with his wife's yellow clothes.

Paul, how are you so sure that the "tribon" is a cloak and not a chiton? Socrates was said to wear it,but i don't remember the reference.
It comes from the verb "tribw" which means to rub or wear out.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Eupolis, Old Comedy, and Hoplite Warfare - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 14,011 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite