Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US senator scorned for re-enactment of Waffen-ss
Totally agree with Decius on this. The biggest problem i have with people re-enacting eras too close to our own time, and especially wars, is that they do not know what war is.

I for one would never want to be in any war, nor even close to it. I have seen what war can do, not only with friends who were in a war, but to the civilians.
Working as special make-up artist for a few films i had to watch and study closely what for instance a .50cal pullet does with someones body, as well as artillery shells et cetera. Disgusting photos, all reality. Sometimes people found it too much gore to even depict in a movie.

Especially when seeing kids of today wearing military uniforms, running around some mock battlefield firing blanks, pretending they are in a battle combined with their gun slinging fetishism repulses me. On my idea to show true war during a display *that is, including the gore via special effects, people said, no the public would not like that.

It is funny to see how the truth is flung out of the window immediately during these kinds of re-enactment.

Also people who say, i would have done this, or the often heard: I would be in the resistance... disgust me.
You do not know what you are capable of untill you are put in the situation itself, and i for one know full well how easy it is for people to be mesmerized by symbols, uniforms, and hatred. I try to warn the kids i teach whenever this subject comes along.

Of course Rome was a brutal society, it had slavery but also humanity. However it is way back in our past, no one still living has ever been there or knows any real Roman, and i sometimes wonder what the Romans would have thought if they knew we were doing this.

History is to be studied and learned from, also when re-enacting, your main task apart from having fun, is education.

That is why people re-enacting should always be very aware of what they do.

And secondly, it is the main reason why i often ridicule, provoke, troll, hassle and irritate others to try and wake them up, sometimes also on this board, but a lot less than on the Dutch World War Two forum which i was banned from for life :mrgreen:

People these days cannot take criticism nor mockery. Is it my problem? no its theirs, and i know i will not stop acting and re-acting to plain stupidity and dumbness.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Messages In This Thread
Re: US senator scorned for re-enactment of Waffen-SS - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 10-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Re: US senator scorned for re-enactment of Waffen-ss - by MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 10-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waffen SS Battle of Berlin Johnny Shumate 52 11,756 02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Narukami