Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was the Aspis/ Hoplon phased out ?
It's best that we not rehash this debate yet again, since I think little new information can be brought to the table to change either side's stance. Nonetheless, I agree with Paul on this one: the word aspis in Plutarch's passage probably just has the generic meaning of shield, and that we can't say either way whether the Spartans were using Argive shields or thyreoi prior to the reforms. However, for other reasons (which I discussed at length in the aforementioned thread), I believe that the Spartans did make use of Argive shields, whether they were using them or thyreoi at the time of the reform or not.

Just one note:

Quote:by a strap and porpax instead of by a fixed handle. implies a 'thureos' grip? If a 'porpax'/arm-loop was meant, why not say so, and use that word? Or if the 'argive aspis' was meant then say something like " by a strap and porpax instead of by porpax alone"....

You are garbling the Greek here, which is perfectly clear. Plutarch says "kai ten aspida phorein di'ochanes, me die porpakos," which means "to bear the shield with strap, and not with porpax." He explicitly mentions the porpax, but to say that they do not use it.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: When was the Aspis/ Hoplon phased out ? - by MeinPanzer - 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM