Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was the Aspis/ Hoplon phased out ?
Quote:Maybe it's just skipping my mind, but what evidence do we have that the hoplite shield was in use in Sparta up until Cleomenes' reforms?

I get the sense that Plutarch is refering to an aspis and dory armed man with a porpax in the following passage. Do you have the greek? To me this also reads like Plutarch is drawing from an earlier source (Phylarchus?) who would be in better position to differentiate aspis and thureos than he himself. I can see a description of a change from one big round shield to another possibly big round shield with only a change of suspension in the wording much more than I can see a shift in shield shape.

Quote:Plut. Cleom. 11.2] Then he filled up the body of citizens with the most promising of the free provincials, and thus raised a body of four thousand men-at-arms, whom he taught to use a long pike, held in both hands, instead of a short spear, and to carry their shields by a strap instead of by a fixed handle.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: When was the Aspis/ Hoplon phased out ? - by PMBardunias - 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM