Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Roman military maneuvers maniples (Manipulum)
Yeah, I see what you mean, but I did mean it otherwise. Please let me to try to clarify my statement. When this is the way the wedge looked like (e.g. positions of people) then indeed it makes much sense to place the centurio there. I'm not wanting to argue on that, as I also believe the centurio is in the front line of batlle.

What I wanted to say is that a formation with a one-mans front rank doesn't make much sense to me. Be it either a centurio, general, ordinairy soldier or what ever else. You just gonna loose this man anyway. I think we should more think of the wedge on a legions level. That is the front 'rank' is a complete century, instead of a single man. Now the front can make more impact, is better supported, and better to hold position (which you gonna loose on first impact in the way described above, for sure). Now, you still have the benefits of a 'wedge' i.e. the front line (so the point of attach) is rather small as compared to the front rank of the opponent.

Hope this is clear.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ancient Roman military maneuvers maniples (Manipulum) - by Jvrjenivs - 09-28-2010, 07:11 AM