Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
Gianni,

Interesting, as if memory serves the representations in the art (that can be interpreted as an overlap) from the Chigi Vase onward show the overlap as my shield over the shield of the man to my right. Hence my statement that shields overlap from left to right along the line.

That said, I do suppose that in crowd theory as a man is collapsed into the shield on the right side he would not be able overlap his shield over that of the man to the right, and the only possibility would be for an overlap would be to go behind the other man's shield. This would not allow anything resembling active shield play though, also a concern. Of course, if we presume a starting stance prior to collapse consistent with the art, he would have to collapse into his neighbours shield.

You do raise an interesting point though. I was making an assumption that pushing wouldn't be as efficient in this extended guard, but its entirely possible it could be, particulary as you would be able to pack 2 or more men pushing side on in the same space as one pushing square to fore. Who knows, you may even be able to collectively push from behind.

Food for thought.
Cole

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by nikolaos - 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM