Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
First off, I'll make it clear that I am not a believer in the 'pushing' theory. Ive read numerous arguments for it and I have yet to be convinced.

Sorry Paul, I don't see how the two clips you have posted are relevant to Greek warfare. The re-enactors don’t even make an attempt to defend themselves with their weapons... there is no way that you would just let someone run into you like that. In the 'riot' clips, no one is trying to kill each other and only one side is armed. Although it is interesting watching the behaviour, I do not believe that riot conditions are reflective of warfare.

You just cannot fight with someone pushing you from behind, especially when you are trying to use an 8 foot spear!
I would also argue that the 'T' stance is ideal for using a spear. You can bear the weight of your shield across your arm and shoulder and still be able to move it to deflect blows. Your spear arm is unrestricted, and being unprotected, it is furthest away from your opponent. Most of the force against you would be onto your shield, so the side stability is not much of an issue. I do think that Hoplites would change stance as the situation dictated as you have noted.

If you have a few ranks behind you pushing, what happens if you lose your footing or is killed? Does the whole column of men fall on their faces?

If it interests you I will write my theory in full along with illustrations?
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by immortal - 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM