Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Late Roman Ridge Helmets Really lined in Leather?
Thinking is always good, I think it's important to keep asking questions and not take past answers for granted.
In this case though I go for the leather lining.

First of all, your picture of the Deurne helmet is misleading. It was the misguided opinion of the reconstruction teamback in 1910 that the missing cheeck plate was supposed to be full of rivets. The plate itself is still missing, so this reconstruction is completely fancyful and can't used in evidence here.
Furthermore, the 'other' plate had only holes.

In fact we never find helmets with a row of rivets in this position, whereas you would expect, even due to bad conditions, at least a few to remain in place. But not even on very well-preserved helmets such as the Berkasovo I and II - not a single rivet along the cheekline.
Of course I don't know for sure, but so far I go with the explanation of leather lining, also because it seem to be a well-fitting reconstruction.

I believe that some of the Koblenz helmets showed remains of the leather lining.

What's the alternative? Sheating is not in question here, it was there alright, but it was glued to the metal, as has been attested where it was still foun in place. No rivets necessary.
Some rivets were there to attach either the bowl pieces to the base ring, the nasal, the chin starps or the straps for the neck guard, some were clearly purely decorative.
Some rivets are modern! Watch out for that, some have been attached to keep the remians in place..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Were Late Roman Ridge Helmets Really lined in Leather? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 19,083 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Late Roman helmets with one-piece bowls LWMM 2 1,196 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Interesting lesson on the development of the late roman helmets Virilis 1 2,245 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs