Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Spolas Underway and a Question or Two
Quote:Well, its not as impressive as Gianni's yet, but after patterning with Sekundar while it rained on our event prep time Saturday, I've now cut out my spola.

The pattern is loosely based on the Aristion monument, based on the assumption that the band at the waist is an overlap and the first layer of pteruges are integral to the body as seen in some other art.

Before cutting into the leather I trued up the pattern with a tailors curve and ruler. Next I had to choose how to piece the leather. The hide was large enough that I could have done body and shoulders in one, but added the front and back tabs, or separate body and shoulders, and only two pieces. As the single body and shoulders would have had me making the shoulder guards out of softer belly leather, I went for two pieces. Here it is in the flesh, so to speak Smile

[attachment=1:1fqv0h3a]<!-- ia1 028.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:1fqv0h3a]

You can see the pteruges in a little better detail in the next picture:

[attachment=0:1fqv0h3a]<!-- ia0 027.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1fqv0h3a]

The inner layer of pteruges still needs to be cut, and will probably have to be pieced, although likely only 2-3, as its a really big hide. Of course, I needed a really big hide, as I'm a really big guySmile

Next steps will be to cut out the inner layer of pteruges and stitch the two pieces together. I will be using an edge-flesh, or tunnel stitch, so that the stitching will be invisible from the outside. But first I need to find my curved awl Smile

Have fun!
Cole

Looks great. But... what's a spolas??? Oh, you mean that thing that's mentioned ambiguously about five times in the ancient sources? Confusing are the passages....
Scott B.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Another Spolas Underway - by nikolaos - 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Re: Another Spolas Underway and a Question or Two - by rocktupac - 08-28-2010, 08:32 AM