Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Spolas Underway and a Question or Two
Gianni,

Thanks!

Some good points there. First off, to the question of long in the body, you probably don't know that I'm a only a few centimetres shy of 2m tall and have a 130cm chest. So, everything I have to make seems a bit big to people, as I'm not built on a normal scale Smile

That said, sample fits do seem to indicate that the breast plate is a bit tall, and the pteruges a bit long. But first is readily fixed, and the second was deliberate, as looking at the stele, the pteruges could have to be of varying lengths to have the even bottom depicted after taking into account the curve of his gluteus maximus, .

On another front, it is currently cut just below the navel, in a line with the top of my hips. As it is not a slavish reproduction of the Aristion monument, I chose to do the integral pteruge/body which will allow for adjustment of that line before applying a decorative overlay strip. In addition, I now realize that that strip could also be used to conceal through stitching for the second layer of pteruges, which would vastly simplify construction. (i.e. not having to do 130 cm of tunnel stitching Smile

Which brings us to the million dollar (or euro Smile question, the neck flap. As cut mine doesn't have one, as I just didn't see on one the Aristion stele when I was patterning. I do tend to disagree when you say that the it didn't need to be represented, rather its my feeling that the damage to the crest makes it an open question.

I do agree that it is common, but of the relatively small sample set of vases depicting the back of the neck on a tube and yoke, there are a couple that do not appear to have the flap, although one of those is a persian context tube and yoke (Beazley 203903 and 207159).

One can be retrofitted on, but for now I'm not going to make any further changes until I have it together and can do a proper trial fitting. As I got the inner layer of pteruges cut last night and assembled into a whole, and all of the holes punched to blind stitch the shoulders onto the body, I should have it together for a trial fit today! None of the above were picture worthy, so I will save the next set for when there is a little more dramatic development.

Thanks again, and have fun!

Cole
Cole

Messages In This Thread
Re: Another Spolas Underway - by nikolaos - 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Re: Another Spolas Underway and a Question or Two - by nikolaos - 08-27-2010, 10:16 AM