Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:To be honest Paul, I thought you were correct, but Giannis has convinced me it is a chiton.

Yea, me too! I owe Giannis a debt of gratitude for catching that and setting it straight.

Quote:The way they are pinned down is visually very similar to the T&Y.. maybe something to look into?

My assumption has been that the way material overlaps the shoulder like that on garments is how the T-Y attained its form. As it got thicker, it could no longer be pinned or buttoned directly and required the thong to attach it. This is why I thought the image above a "missing link" of sorts, but I had never seen those long pins. Once they became true shoulder "flaps" there were benefits to them extending down further. One might be that if short, a thick flap would be harder to get to flat against the chest- it is easier to bend a long stick than a short one for example. The of course their is added protection and padding as well as easier access to the securing point.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,498 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr