Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield
Quote:Any theroies on the 'cut outs' design shared between this example and the Boiotian? I believe we have to admit this one simularity.

Edit: The four rosettes in the boss are reminiscent of Greek shield devices.

Thanks

No one really knows. As spears were quite often thrown in the Near East, it could may be, so you could hold the shield sideways to cover the face, but still have an area to view out of? It's worth pointing out that they are offset from the centre on every shield (there are a huge amount of figures at Persepolis carrying these). It could be purely decorative.. who knows.
As I said before, they have a long tradition in the Near east of using this style of shield.

The boss is quite heavlily decorated.. rather than 4 rosettes, you could see it as a cross with flared edges? Either way, I dont think there is any relation between this and Greek shield devices.
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield - by immortal - 08-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 999 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek Hoplite Spear Connor Augustus 1 2,210 04-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 2,358 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr