Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'The myth of Celtic and Roman Britain\'
I think that's the case with the Helvetii. Some people don't know for sure whether they were Germannic or Celtic. I think I came across a term for that. 'Celto-Germannic' I think it was. But I think being in the area they were they were sure to have influences from both cultures.

Its the same case with the tribes that occupied modern day Trieste and Histria/Istria, the Carni and Catali. They were Celtic-speaking, but the rest of their culture seems to have had Italic, Greek and Illyrian influence. We don't know what to categorise them as, so we just relate them to the Venetic peoples- but the only problem there is that some people confuse Carni to be related to the Veneti tribe, which they were not. The first mention we get of them is from the Greeks, who named them "???????". By Strabo - I'll have to find a reference for that, however. But nevertheless, their origins and culture are obscure, like many ancient peoples that show influence from multiple cultures (save Rome, ofcourse - except we don't really know where they originated either).

- Lorenzo.
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F

Messages In This Thread
Re: \'The myth of Celtic and Roman Britain\' - by LvpvsRomanvs - 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt Antoninus05 12 5,259 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: bloodseekerboi1