Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheathed Weapons
Or rather the absence of them. Gladiator reenactors, particularly retiarii, often carry a dagger or short sword in a sheath. Yet I have never seen a depiction of a gladiator in any medium carrying a sheathed weapon. The retiarius is often shown awkwardly carrying his dagger in the same hand that holds the trident. The hoplomachus holds his reserve sword behind his shield. I've seen no depiction of how the equites transitioned from the lance to the sword, and assume that swords were just handed to them when they dismounted. I have come to believe that weapons were given to the gladiators after they entered the arena and had to surrender them before exiting. A possible exception to this is the depiction of what are probably bustuarii fighting with spears, armored but without helmets. One of the figures seems to have a sheathed sword or dagger at his waist. But this is a very early depiction, probably when the gladiators actually fought at the gravesite, and the rules of the arena had yet to be established. Does anyone know a a definite depiction of a sheathed weapon in a gladiatorial context?
Pecunia non olet

Messages In This Thread
Sheathed Weapons - by john m roberts - 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by Olaf - 08-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by john m roberts - 08-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by garrelt - 08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by Olaf - 08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Re: Sheathed Weapons - by garrelt - 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM