Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-enactment and academic scholarship
If it's any consolation, from the U.S. Side:

From doing School and College/University visit programs portraying a Roman soldier, as well as public demos at Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA over the years, I can say the response from the "Academia" side has been overwhelmingly positive and supportive of what 'we reenactors' "do". I've actually found myself 'correcting'...Umm not a good term, at least mentioning different theories and discoveries as a reenactor to a Classics scholar or researcher on topics or specifics they may not have known about, or had 'older' information. (Although I think some of this lingers because of 'older' textbooks and information, and even misinformation)

But again, most of the people who are academics and scholars, as well as [Latin] teachers, museum curators, have been thrilled to see Romans being portrayed and being researched/reconstructed so diligently here in the States.

[We] do still get the question or reference to movies like Gladiator, but that is only to be expected, and certainly to be taken advantage of as an ice-breaker or de-myth-ing conversation. I'm always nervous giving Roman programs to Latin/Classics students, but I try to make mention/keep in mind that we're coming from two different approaches, but both of which benefit each other equally. It always ends up being a great experience, and, as Leg. III Cyr., have even gained interest, support and membership from Academics/Scholars of various levels.

I can't really comment about why some Academics et al seem to snub or look down on reenactors, it's unfortunate to say the least. It's not without saying, there are some phonies and yahoos out there in the reenacting world who make up a lot of silly stuff with little or no research merely to support an inflated ego/sense of authority or need for attention, but, that's how the world works. If anything it ought to get others who like to ask questions to delve deeper in their own research and develop their own conclusions.

From the Academic and Archaeological/Institutional sectors, I'd certainly like to see more catalogs and archives of Roman finds that have been "buried" in archives and collections unseen to researchers and reenactors alike, published and made available. Although I understand that requires people, funding, and time....Which is what we -ALL- seem to be in desperate need of nowadays.

But in the end, at least from my experiences, it's been a positive and supportive environment.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Re-enactment and academic scholarship - by Saskia - 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Re: Re-enactment and academic scholarship - by A_Volpe - 07-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Re: Re-enactment and academic scholarship - by SeleukosNicator20 - 08-03-2010, 07:06 AM