Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiators: Back from the Dead
Watched it and it was, unfortunately, as I had expected not very impressive and to my mind a giving skewed extrapolations.

A few ;

Bestiarius; had a bite to the scapula. Explanation given that it is usual for Tigers etc to go for the shoulder to bring an animal down then deliver a killing bite to soft tissue (pointing towards stomach area). Surely they go straight to the neck to choke off. The Tigers tooth didn't look like it fitted to well into teh wound to me.

Equites; This guy had an injury to the knee, which was apparently unusual as it was so low, so it must have been inflicted whilst on horseback ergo an Equites! Any review of the battle of Wisby will testify to the number of lower limb wounds. Any bone expert purporting to know of sword type wounds should be aware of Wisby so should not make statements like that.

Thracian; Wasn't impressed that the sica was held point down as all illustrations I have seen show it the other way, which in fact makes opponent shield easier to get around as teh blade follows the contours of the arm.

Secutor; Said to be the most ferocious of the gladiators... because the was the pursuer. An opinion, sure, but based on what evidence? No mention that his helmet was designed to avoid trident blows and net entaglement... more pertinent than looking mean because of the two little eye holes.

Retiarius; 20 year veteran and was suckered into a daft attack on the shield, dissapointing fight coreography.

Myrmillo; had wounds to right arm at elbow. No manica then or they proved to be useless?

The types were accorded by body type, i.e. big muscular men Myrmillos and slighter blokes Thracians, which is arbitary really as in reality is a Myrmillo a Thracian or Secutor that differently armed weight wise? Smaller shields added two grieves and bigger ones at that so can they be called light compared with a myrmillo with his one small grieve but bigger shield?

All these guys appear to have been beheaded, which they admited was not evidenced elswhere ref gladiators so perhaps it was just a York thing for the local beheading mad Celts. Weak :| And then to say that the vertibrae evidenced eight blows, to get the head off, that's VIII blows in Roman and from highly trained athletes. I'm sorry but that is just plain crass!

The expert said that there are various depiction showing finishing by the sword, via the neck, front & back but also ones depicting the sword down the throat .... I have not seen this so if anyone can point me to it that would be great??

I really don't think they have graveyard full of gladiators, I think they are executed crininals.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Messages In This Thread
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Memmia - 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by sillicus - 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Thraces15 - 06-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Ben Kane - 06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Conal - 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Conal - 06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Olaf - 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Re: Gladiators: Back from the Dead - by Conal - 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM