Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacians importance in Roman Army
Quote:After you tried to make the Goths into Dacians, now you try to equate Thracians with Dacians, and then the Eastern Roman empire too? Nice idea of 'conquest'.

Sorry Razvan, much of what you claim here we've discussed already in another part of the forum, and you have not convinced me there either.

Salve Robert

Well, i didnt said that Goths are Dacians, just that Goths was a mix of peoples with a Dacian(Getian) component, among Germanic, Sarmatians, Taifali etc.

About Thracian and Dacians, not just the teritory north of Danube and Carpathian Mountains, but the teritories south of Danube up to the Haemus (Balkan) Mountains, the province of Moesia, was inhabited as well by Dacians (some said thraco-dacians). "Moesii", the most important tribe there, who gived the name of the province, was a Dacian (Thraco-Dacian) tribe. And Dacians was northern branch of Thracians. There was a southern branch, close to greeks and called simple Thracians, there was as well Phrygians or even Cimmerians acording to some, all of this peoples originating from proto-thracians.
I know we discussed on another topic something related, and maybe i exagerated a little now, in my first post. But the idea is that more then half of the eastern Roman Army was formed by Thracians and Dacians (and in that period many times the emperor was promoted by the army from its own ranks), and i am curious if someone know more about that "Notitia Dignitatum" as which shields emblems there belong to which diferent provinces.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Dacians importance in Roman Army - by diegis - 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Re: Dacians importance in Roman Army - by Rumo - 04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Re: Dacians importance in Roman Army - by diegis - 04-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Re: Dacians importance in Roman Army - by diegis - 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Re: Dacians importance in Roman Army - by Rumo - 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The importance of Roman Reconstruction Archaeology John Conyard 47 10,592 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Importance of Roman Cavalry Anonymous 22 4,478 05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Kate Gilliver
  Dacians and Roman Army Anonymous 0 938 09-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Anonymous