Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof of the Domus Aurea collapses
(ANSA) - Rome, March 30 - Most of the homes of Ancient Rome's rulers are at risk because of subsidence and rain seepage, an official said after a tunnel over Nero's Golden House collapsed Tuesday.

"The real emergency is on the Palatine," said Domus Aurea Commissioner Antonello Vodret, referring to the first and greatest of Rome's hills, where the city was born and where its emperors later built their residences.

"Unless we get money soon, the whole hill could crumble".

"There are some 150 houses that have not been protected against water," Vodret said.

However, he voiced the hope that Tuesday's partial collapse of one of the tunnels of Hadrian's Baths, built over the Domus, would "hasten the arrival" of the funds.

Archeologist Andrea Carandini told ANSA that the situation of some of Ancient Rome's sites was so bad that "collapses have become a nightmare for me".

Tuesday's incident was "dramatic proof that there is a real emergency in Rome," he said, adding that it was lucky no one died when the tunnel roofing came down in what has been used since the early 20th century as a storage area for artifacts.

The collapse of the tunnel section of Hadrian's Baths, on top of the Golden House, also hit a tiny section of one of Rome's oldest walls.

A "couple of fragments" from the Aurelian Walls (271-275 AD) fell down, emergency workers said.

One bit hit a passing car but no one was hurt.

The Palatine is so shaky and riddled with rain-swollen holes that some experts think it could all come down in a heap.

Many of its villas, temples and residences have been closed because of subsidence - although the House of Augustus reopened last year.

Despite its glittering heritage, the Palatine is often ignored by Rome's ten million annual visitors.

Part of the reason is the steep climb up from the Forum.

Only a tenth of tourists can face the trek after they've toured ancient Rome's large heart and seen the Colosseum.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ITALIAN GOVERNMENT !!!

Where is M**s*l*ni when you need him.

I am very sorry, but this story as well as the ridiculous preservation of Italian/Roman sites makes my blood boil beyond the point of 1000000 degrees Farenheit..

Really, i am shocked and appalled by this news story.

Sorry if i offend anyone with my remarks, but i feel offended in the deepest depth of my every existence by this criminal neglect of our European heritage.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roof of the Domus Aurea collapses - by MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 03-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Re: Roof of the Domus Aurea collapses - by Doc - 03-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Re: Roof of the Domus Aurea collapses - by Doc - 03-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roof on Stonehenge richsc 6 2,965 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Vindex