Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pic from movie "Centurion", what say the experts?
I agree that the armor would not have necessarily looked crappy. However, I tend to categorize it more as clean since I do not see someone sitting down and turning their armor into the mirror finish that is normally seen on reconstructions. Also armor of that period would have been more dingy than the armor we have simply because of the material manufacture. Our metals although categorized as were in the period, have certain homogeneity and processing that can make them more resistant.

I think that the musculata from the angle that it is being shown, is too muscular. Again, when looking at statues, for the most part, the musculature sculpted is not body builder type. To go a step further, none of the actual curiasses found that I know of have this type of exaggerated musculature.

However, I think that it is important to understand that no matter how inaccurate the equipment may be, the movie has to be fun to watch. We cannot look at movies and say that they are no good becuase they used a leather musculata instead of metal or that there are those forearm guards that eveyone hates. Fantasy is exotic and colorful, it catches the eye.

I think that movies should be just watched with no interpretation unless there are really gross errors to the point of stupidity and absurdity; 300 ring a bell? Even here, people still watched just for fun.

It has also been my experience when watching the movie Gladiator with others that when something happens and I am asked if the occurrence was really true, after I answer the question the person says "ok thanks". People are NOT REALLY INTERESTED IN WHAT THE TRUE HISTORY IS OTHER THAN A PASSING FANCY, THEY WANT TO SEE VIOLENCE AND HOT SEX SCENES WITH GORGEOUS WOMEN. So is the move of current society. Current society does not want to watch movies lik Ben Hur. I know that there were inaccurices as well. However, the nature and speed of the film takes you back to the Roman period which for most of the young crowd today is like something that drags on and never ends.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pic from movie "Centurion", what say the experts? - by Doc - 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM