Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for a series of Novels (again)
I have a bit of a perspective on this, not least because I've written the first three books in what's turning into a series covering the reigns of Commodus and (after the struggle for power of 193 - 197ad) Serverus. I think the Caeserian period is utterly saturated, whereas there isn't much fiction set in the reign of Marcus Aurelius. I'd go for the Marcomannic wars if I were you.

BUT (you might have guessed it's a big one), if you want to get published you must have a strong protagonist that your potential agent and pubisher will fall in love with at first sight - and I mean in the first few pages. If they do, they'll judge that the book buying public will do the same thing, and make their purchase of your book a profitable one. I wouldn't be swapping pov at the start of every chapter if you want to get published. If it's purely for your own entertainment then that's not such a problem, but if you'd like to see the book in print on the shelf, make some money, settle down to write full time and all that other fantasy stuff that writers dream about, you need one man that your series can follow. By all means cone up with all sorts of strong characters to put around him, but ignore that advice and I think you'll find it hard to place the book commercially.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Tony.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ideas for a series of Novels (again) - by Tony Riches - 04-04-2010, 12:59 PM