Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sacred Band of Carthage
Quote: even in a quote from a scholarly book by Duncan Head which I could not get a hold of. But where does this information come from?
I am so desperate I am ready to cry. If anyone can at least direct me to primary sources other than those quoted above, or to secondary sources, I'll be very-very grateful!
P.S. Perhaps I should stress the fact that this is NOT about the more well-known Sacred Band of Thebes.

Welcome to the forum. You should know that you need to use your real name here, by the way.

The Duncan Head book is outstanding and I recommend that you buy a copy. It's available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armies-Macedoni ... 399&sr=8-1
And here, at half the price: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... %26sts%3Dt
You could also try The Book Depository, who do not charge postage and packing to anywhere in the world.

Welcome to the club about not being able to find out much information about such things. The usual reason that there's no information available about Carthage is that none has survived. That period of Carthaginian history is not my field, so I'm not able to tell you if there is more information available. I've looked at my textbooks about Carthage (and I have every single one that I have heard of on here) and haven't found anything else about the Sacred Band other than what you've mentioned. However other members may be able to provide more information for you.

Regarding your P.S. Ahem. Many of the members on this forum are more well-informed about the Ancient World than entire departments of universities. I quickly stress that I would not classify myself as one of those. However, the fact that you titled your post 'The Sacred Band of Carthage' will alert all of us to the fact that you do not mean the Sacred Band of Thebes. Otherwise you would have entitled your post 'The Sacred Band of Thebes'.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Messages In This Thread
The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Pyrrha - 02-18-2010, 11:24 PM
The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Ben Kane - 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Re: The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Dutchhoplite - 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Re: The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Pyrrha - 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM
The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Ben Kane - 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
The Sacred Band of Carthage - by Ben Kane - 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Re: The Sacred Band of Carthage - by barcid - 02-22-2010, 11:50 PM