Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct form of Iron Age British names
Harry, thank you for your bibliography. I do have Britons in Anglo-Saxon England and actually the entire section of "Linguistic Perspectives" is a nice read, perhaps especially Peter Schrijver's "What Britons Spoke around 400 AD" arguing for a Lowland British Celtic and a Highland British Celtic, the former more influenced by Latin (and its speakers were mostly Latin-Celtic bilinguals) and having stronger connections with the contemporary Celtic dialects from northern Gaul.

Quote:It wasn't my intention to over simplify the subject, it's just that posts should be made understandable for all readers.

IMHO a serious linguistic debate must have a technical side.

My example above, however, was also to prove that even a etymology looks solid, it still may be not. Careless etymologies and speculative analogies have a lot of pitfalls. Coincidences are persuasive, but at the same time so unreliable (à propos of briga/burg). Just imagine a 41st century linguist asserting the word 'tomahawk' is of Germanic origin Big Grin
Drago?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Correct form of Iron Age British names - by Rumo - 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,872 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Iron age British hairstyles Christian 4 5,794 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gobae