Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct form of Iron Age British names
Quote:It's not that simple. The word 'burg' certainly has the meaning of walled town in German, and there are plenty of examples to prove this.
In Old English, the words for 'fortification/walled settlement' is 'burh', with a dative singular form 'byrig' (plural 'burga'), but this word is very similar to 'beorg', the word for hill. Especially when you're describing a hillfort, this can be confusing at times.
(A similar confusion occurs with linear earthworks, where the word 'dic' evolved into 'ditch' as well as 'dyke', referring to the same thing (the earthwork), but with opposite meanings!)

Yes, I could have worded it better and perhaps used the word exclusively. In Germany burg can be used for any fortification, in later times a castle, in earlier times a fortified settlement and of course when they started building them, towns.

At the time the germanic speakers entered roman Gaul, the walled towns they encountered reminded them of their 'burgs', hence the use of this germanic suffix.

At least I think the use of germanic burg in France is exclusive to walled towns, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't think of any small fortified settlements which were given this suffix and I'm not aware of a castle being described as a burg.

The expanding range of usage, hill => high place => fortified hill => fortified settlement => important settlement mirrors celtic 'briga'. A lot of etymological arguments occur around the name of the tribe Brigantes. Does it mean a collection of tribes who live in the [northern] hills or simply those who worship the goddess 'Brigantia', herself a goddess of the sky or high places.

best
authun
Harry Amphlett

Messages In This Thread
Re: Correct form of Iron Age British names - by authun - 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,872 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Iron age British hairstyles Christian 4 5,794 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gobae