Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct form of Iron Age British names
Quote:
cagwinn:gleqik7y Wrote:My gynt, the one that is derived from Latin gentes, means (to quote the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru) "tribe, people, nation, especially the pagan nations that harassed the Welsh, namely the Scandinavians and the Danes, also the English and the Normans."

Good, I'm glad we have dispensed with the one to one correspondence, gynt = heathen and moved on to an interpretive use of the word.

Are you interested in learning something, or just arguing? Because I don't have time for arguments - especially not with people who can't even admit that they are wrong about something (re: your confusion of the two gynt words). I suggest you research the medieval usage of the Latin word gentes - it meant both "people, tribe" (as the plural of gens) and, in Christian terminology, "heathens"; this was its primary meaning in medieval Welsh (the same word was borrowed by the Irish, via Christian Britons, as genti "heathens", later "Norsemen").
Christopher Gwinn

Messages In This Thread
Re: Correct form of Iron Age British names - by cagwinn - 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,825 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Iron age British hairstyles Christian 4 5,774 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gobae