Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese has nothing to do with the Teutoburg battles
Very interesting topic. I do have one question... The Kalkriese site was, at the time, one of the only east-west routes in that region. Roman armies under leaders from Drusus to Tiberius campaigned in Germania for over a decade before and several years after. Many of these campaigns included close-run battles in narrows and ambushes in narrows and swamps. Could the "Teutorburg Narrows" actually be the site of more than one of these fights...? Of course that makes the lack of camps and other finds even more troubling. Cry From what I can tell, nothing definitive proves it wasn't the Varus battle - just as nothing definitive ever proved it was. Anyone got a spare time machine laying around... :lol: Cheers.

Kevin Townsend

I have spent a great deal of time researching the battle. You can find my scribbles here: <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28300">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28300<!-- l
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Kalkriese has nothing to do with the Teutoburg battles - by KET - 02-11-2010, 12:53 AM