Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt tombs suggest pyramids not built by slaves
I'm afraid I'm with Paul on this one. The text is short but although it may not be spelled out that slavery was meant, I think that the intention of Herodotus was indeed to describe a situation in which the Egyptions were compelled to do work (paid or not) and that they were not free to choose.
Whether the text actually says 'slaves' or not is not the issue, it's clear (to me at least) what point Herodotus intends to make, which is that Kufu was not a nice king (how can a mortal who closes the temples to prevent his subjects from sacrificing - to any ancient a deed necessary to live, be any good?), but one who compelled his subjects to do labours.

OK, we know that Herodotus was wrong, but we're not discussing that. Herodotus wrote a history with wrong facts, but he was believed and often copied. His text formed the basis of our knowledge of anciet Egypt before we learned to read hieroglyphss. So our (wrong) knowledge about the building of the pyramids is almost certainly due to Herodotus' (wrong) knowledge of the facts.

I mean - Herodotus claimed that the top of the pyramid was completed first, and the floor parts the last! :?: :?: :?:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Egypt tombs suggest pyramids not built by slaves - by Robert Vermaat - 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggest a name for a new magazine! Praefectusclassis 82 12,986 08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Last Post: taira1180