Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beard slams Hawass over Rosetta Stone
Quote:And of course make the use of the words: Probable, Likely, Unknown, Maybe et cetera,
And they shoukl also learn to start every article with the sentence "I am an archaeologist, which means that I am not a classicist or a historian, so that any argument that I present, based on linguistic or historical evidence, ought to be treated with suspicion."

Right now, I am writing a book on the history of the Low Countries and I consult archaeological and historical articles and books; it is shocking to see how little these two related disciplines know about each other. Historians claiming that the battle of the Teutoburg Forest was important (no; the creation of the limes was what mattered); archaeologists stating that there was such a thing as a "municipium status" for Roman towns - obviously unaware of Millar's famous The Roman Emperor.

We pay for the universities. I wonder why, because the people over there are too lazy to ask their colleagues what they are doing.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Beard slams Hawass over Rosetta Stone - by Jona Lendering - 01-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A world without Zahi Hawass... Jona Lendering 21 4,433 11-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Exit Zahi Hawass, again Jona Lendering 2 947 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Exit Zahi Hawass Jona Lendering 18 3,784 04-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Philippos II