Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book from Osprey "Gladiator" by Konstantin Nossov
I've now read this book and while there is nothing new in it, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone beginning a study of gladiators and the games. I can remember when there were no texts in English devoted exclusively to the Roman games except for Mannix's sensationalist "Those About to Die" and Grant's brief, moralizing "Gladiators."
I think Nossov draws some wrong conclusions, such as the retiarius using the manica-clad left hand for throwing the net, but these are minor.
I am intrigued by the Panticapaeum frescoes as well. Surely these are the most lightly-equipped gladiators yet - not even a manica to be seen among them. And are we certain that those are helmets they are wearing, and not some form of Phrygian bonnet? Just as intriguing is that Hollywood-style trident with a spearpoint at its butt and some sort of attachments or decorations on it. It looks like something from a bad gladiator movie. Is there a possibility of finding larger, more detailed pictures of these frescoes?
Lastly, the English translation suffers from numerous typos, the clear result of a publisher content with running the text through a spell-checker instead of doing a line-by-line proofread.
Definitely worth the money and highly recommended.
Pecunia non olet

Messages In This Thread
Re: New book from Osprey "Gladiator" by Konstantin Nossov - by john m roberts - 12-05-2009, 04:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From today\'s Times "Gladiators return to Colosseum&quot Caballo 0 1,408 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Caballo