Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boeotian horsemen 4th century BC
Quote:Thanks, Ruben, and I would 'guesstimate' a similar timeframe to yours..... Smile

One would like to know more - for example whether there is an inscription, and whether it was found locally or not........I suspect the possibility that he is termed a 'Boeotian' cavalryman just because he's wearing a 'Boeotian' helmet. If it was in Thessaloniki Museum it would probably be labelled 'Macedonian cavalryman !'

There are a few letters visible in the photograph - above and to the left of the horseman's head I can make out a sigma, mu, and epsilon, and below those an alpha, sigma, and perhaps am omega. It's included in the LIMC under 'Heros Equitans,' and so I guess it is presumed to be an equestrian hero stele, but only the remnants of the inscription would tell...
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Boeotian horsemen 4th century BC - by bachmat66 - 10-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Re: Boeotian horsemen 4th century BC - by MeinPanzer - 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM