Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea
Quote:Paralus wrote:
Quote:And whereas I would not dispute Herodotus’ lack of travel to some places in his “History”, I imagine he likely visited Plataea.

...in fact, Herodotus makes it fairly plain he had almost certainly NOT visited Plataea - in speaking of the graves he says "...so far as my information goes..." and "...which I am told.." (H. IX.84 )

At 9.84 Herodotus does, in no way, make "it fairly plain he had almost certainly NOT visited Plataea". What he does make quite plain is that, amidst the division of the spoils, he has no idea who took the body of Mardonius nor who buried it and where. What he relates - about this subject - is that "which he is told". The passage has not a whit to do with the burials of the Greeks and relates - plainly - to his dissertaion on the division of the spoils. This he makes makes plain when he follows with "But the Greeks, when they had divided the spoils at Plataea..." (9.85.1)

Your cited literary "evidence" (9.84.1):

Quote:As for the body of Mardonius, it was removed on the day after the battle; by whom, I cannot with certainty say. I have, however, heard of very many countries that buried Mardonius, and I know of many that were richly rewarded for that act by Mardonius' son Artontes. [2] Which of them it was that stole and buried the body of Mardonius I cannot learn for certain. Some report that it was buried by Dionysophanes, an Ephesian. Such was the manner of Mardonius' burial.

To claim that this relates to the burial arrangements and tombs of the Greeks is a stretch too far.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea - by Paralus - 11-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plataea 2021 List of Research Topics Sean Manning 13 3,298 01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,120 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Battle of Plataea hoplite07 14 3,862 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio