Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea
I shall confine myself to a small observation.......if Xenophon passed all too briefly over the Spartan defeat at Leuktra, he also passed over in equal brevity their victory at "The Tearless Battle" - perhaps recognition that there had been a 'sea-change' in Greece with the shattering of the "myth" of Spartan invincibility. The 'cat was out of the bag', and another Spartan victory would not restore it.

An excellent and perspicacious post! .....the more so as I can find nothing to disagree with !!! Smile D lol: :lol: :lol:

.... and a toast ( with an Aussie 'Cab Sav', naturally ) to healthy debate and good fellowship !! 8) 8)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea - by Paullus Scipio - 10-30-2009, 12:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plataea 2021 List of Research Topics Sean Manning 13 3,298 01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,120 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Battle of Plataea hoplite07 14 3,862 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio