Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Roman Legionary, A.D. 161–284 (War
Robert,<br>
<br>
You wanted to have it in such way.<br>
<br>
I always wished Angus McBride would paint the scene when Flavius Claudius <span style="text-decoration:underline">Julianus</span> II. (at that time not yet called Apostata) held his speech to his gathered troops from a little top nearby Argentoratum, his staff around him with different and richly decorated ridge helmets, the draconarii and vexilliferi with their signs (at least one painted with the face of his governing cousin Constantius II., another with the chi-rho symbol "In hoc signo semper vincas"), one standard bearer holding his famous counter speech (... "follow Your lucky star" ..., - I like my Gore Vidal), the legions exhausted after a half day march however in good tendency, visible are their different shield designs and equipment (Cataphractarii, fectienses ), far away in the background the closely pushed wedges of the Alamanni ..., the burning sun and the wheat fields not yet harvested ...<br>
<br>
Another marvellous scene that is even well documented by the mosaics from San Vitale in Ravenna. Justinian and his dignitaries (among them the general Belizarius) and their guards with their colourful and detailed represented shields, spears and clothing, ... Justinianus may be sitting on his throne, surrounded by the splendour of the Byzantine emperor yard ...<br>
<br>
I do not know, whether this meets also the taste of the other RAT-members, it is only a modest suggestion of me ...<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 4/14/04 8:37 am<br></i>
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
Re: Imperial Roman Legionary, Part III! - by Uwe Bahr - 04-14-2004, 06:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sequel to Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161–2 Theodosius the Great 2 1,245 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Ross Cowan