Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of Scorpions & Sliders
Hello! I have been to Roman Army talk many times doing research (lurking) and thought I'd finally join up. I am an innovator who totally ignorant of siege-engines and the like developed an in-swinger design while on a quest for superior velocities. I started out with the idea of combining a slingshot with a bow and the final result is an "engine" that I use to power a variety of torsion based devices inlcuding mech. asssist slingshot, catapulta, ballista bow, and a "manuballista" My dilemna is what it should be properly called. I have not been able to decide if it is a ballista, a manuballista, or what.

The engine is capable of firing whatever you want and most resembles the theorized "Hatra" design but without the huge size, stanchions and the like. So, because it can fire arrows or bolts, and rocks or what not (I use large steel ball bearings to keep velocities down). I also use steel springs instead of rope bundles...

By definition a crossbow is powered by limbs so it is not a crossbow or bow but torsion based, and an inswinging design to boot. I dont know what to properly call it when it is used LIKE a crossbow on a crossbow like rail and frame, it is loaded by hand but can use a "crankaroo". The closest I can come up with is "manuballista" or "Scorpio" (miniture scorpion).
Can anyone here help out?

Also, while developing this machine (with a ordinary slingshot as a starting point to combine best features of both slingshot and archery bow) I have gained a world of practical experience and knowledge. While known inswingers (hatra, Davinci's springald) use only 90 - 100 degree's or arc mine is able to generate well in excess of 120 making it pretty powerful. I may be able to help some here with their questions about construction and performance and will try to help if I can. To be honest historical replicas are not my area of interest nor is historical accuracy but machine performance. Also because my interest is performance based, I have little interest in out-swingers or rope bundle tech. Only interested in re-creating the outstanding performance these machines were reported to have.

Lastly, after years of development I am interested in possibly making them for sale, and actually have a well known crossbow man. interested in the designs. Being as this is purely a historical society, I can understand if you boot me off BUT - being (historical) siege-engine fanatics would there be a market however small that would be interested in such a machine? All my research seems to indicate what I have developed IS a siege engine?

I keep thinking of my "crossbow" as a manuballista-although designed for arrows or bolts. In catapult mode I can shoot either by changing out the string for one with a pouch. I am also working on the next advancement coming up with something most resembling the chinese multiple limbcrossbow. I am only interested in fastest, farthest, most hard hitting and that is where my design work has taken me....

Hope this post dont offend you-all too much, because I'd like your help. I offer my practical experience or advice in exchange so I can leave as much or more than I take away...

Thank you for your consideration and hope I have found the correct thread or forum to post. If not my apolagies.

Warhammer1
Torsion rules! - Joel from Ham. Ont. Ca.

Messages In This Thread
Of Scorpions & Sliders - by P. Clodius Secundus - 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by D B Campbell - 07-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by AuxArcher - 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Re: Of Scorpions & Sliders - by Warhammer1 - 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catapults, a Case Against Sliders (Heresy) P. Clodius Secundus 9 2,710 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: P. Clodius Secundus