Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my.
Seeing as there has never really been any real protection for the eyes/face for the Romans, I surely would be quickly demoralized and convinced to go elsewhere when faced with clouds of arrows raining down at my head/face/neck - If not being shot nearly straight-trajectory towards my face, being the mounted archers not that terribly far off level from someone standing on the ground and their face, certainly thinking of the ballistic drop as the arrow flies down range.

That, and having one's armor, be it maille, being pelted continuously with some serious arrows would be pretty damn scary. Knowing the - possibility - of just one of those arrows breaking through maille links would reduce my confidence in the armor... I can only imagine it being similar to being pelted with paintballs at fairly close range wearing not much more padding than a sweater....I'm sure you're going to end up covered in some nasty welts and deep bruising, which would cause I'd think anyone some serious discomfort and weakness in the limbs (getting hit there repeatedly). I think this is what Polybius is really addressing - not if the armor is effective or not.

I think an even better comparison is to ask Police or Military people who have been shot while wearing [kevlar] and ask them if they find it fun.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. - by Ross Cowan - 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Re: Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. - by A_Volpe - 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Why the bodkin? - by Gregg - 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Re: Why the bodkin? - by Matthew Amt - 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swords of the Parthian horse archers claste 4 1,120 07-04-2020, 12:47 AM
Last Post: claste
  Arrows Against Linen and Leather Armour Steven James 1 1,860 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) antiochus 17 4,067 08-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Lyceum