Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my.
Quote:
Matthew Amt:1vx72nci Wrote:The argument is based primarily on David Starley's essay in De Re Metallica on arrowhead evolution and medieval armor. Starley himself admits that his conclusions are based on only a very small number of analyzed examples (four type 16 broadheads, and two bodkin heads). However, at no point does Starley claim that bodkin heads were not intended to pierce mail armor. Quite the opposite, he quotes Oliver Jessops' recent medieval arrowhead typology and agrees that bodkin heads were clearly meant to defeat mail. This is in agreement with Halpin's study of military archery in medieval Ireland (where excavated examples are unusually well dated), which similarly concludes that thinner bodkin heads were used to defeat mail, but declined in use when plate began to replace mail. Starley's claim that type 16 broadheads were developed to defeat plate is much more problematic (Halpin believes the lighter needle bodkins were replaced with heavier bodkins as possible armor piercers), but not really relevant to this topic in any case.

Gregg
halpins theory makes more sense
mark avons

Messages In This Thread
Re: Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. - by Ross Cowan - 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Re: Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. - by marka - 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Why the bodkin? - by Gregg - 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Re: Why the bodkin? - by Matthew Amt - 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swords of the Parthian horse archers claste 4 1,107 07-04-2020, 12:47 AM
Last Post: claste
  Arrows Against Linen and Leather Armour Steven James 1 1,858 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) antiochus 17 4,062 08-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Lyceum