Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castra Legionis IIII Flaviae Felicis - Singidunum-excavation
I'll try to explain in the folowing posts history of excavations in fortress with the main phases of construction as well as problems I am dealing with in the interpration. About the fifth century problem, we have Sintana de Mures -Chernjahov horizont inside the fortress, but just the pits. Not the dwellings, or any kind of houses. ALso there are no undisturbed layers above the walls which identifie destruction of the fortress walls. In nearby site that we are digging in the last five years, lower layers inside the fossae (3 of them) are filled with the end of the III century pottery. My dating of the castra legionis IIII FLaviae to the Trajan-Hadrian period is based on few arguments. Above one barack-verandah floor pottery from I half of the II century was found. Coin circulation inside the camp begins with Trajan-Hadrian coins. I am not going to consider one Nerva coin. This coin circulation is the fact for the whole Singidunum also. Another important argument for me are the IIII FF abreviations on brick stamps.Atribute Felix was not in use after Antoninus Pius as far as I know. Another one is - if leg IIII Fl is not in SIngidunum after its engagment in Sarmisegetuza and Bersovia, where could it be Big Grin D .
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation

Messages In This Thread
Re: Castra Legionis IIII Flaviae Felicis - Singidunum-excavation - by Arahne - 06-21-2009, 10:07 PM