Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:Hi Razvan,

Just an observation:
diegis:2chv9fy4 Wrote:There was Dacian kingdom back then, Roxolani was allies of Dacians, fighting as auxiliars for them and was based in north east of their kingdom
If they were inside the Dacian kingdom, how could they have been allies? They would have been subjects, right?

Another:

Quote:.. and Taifali was no near around, and really impossible to establish themselves in a quite big part of Dacian kingdom (the major power of Europe back then, outside the Roman empire), and took that as their pasturage.
Where do you find your information that the dacian kingdom was "the major power of Europe back then, outside the Roman empire"? How far are you assuming that the dacian kingdom stretched? When i read this i have visions of a kingdom from the Black Sea to the Elbe river or something?

Hello Valerius

OK, i know my english is not that good, so maybe some things wasnt said too clear, but i see that you pass over some other as well, and prefer to not observe them. First, Roxolani was based in north west area outside Dacian kingdom, most probably, since we dont know exactly the borders back then.
About Dacian kingdom as the major power in Europe, outside ofcourse the Roman empire, "The Dacian Threat" by Michael Schmitz is a good book to read, as well the fact that romans used the biggest army ever deployed against an foreign enemy, and this at the peak of the empire power, leaving practicly unprotected the provinces as Germania and Britania, after take the troops from there to assemble that army, without to worry of any big danger from there.
Anyway, in Burebista times, Dacian kingdom (even empire we can say) was streched from near Crimeea in east (Olbia was conquered by them) to close to the Danube springs in west (archeology show their presence in today Slovakia for ex., and Jordanes said that they "burned" too the germans lands where in his time lived Franks (probably today Bavaria).
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM