Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Salve, Mitra

Very interesting, especially the Chinese info on the "Yancais," the probable Aorsi. It would be informative to know what "aor" stood for. In the mid 4th century, there was a Gothic judge of the Tyrfingi who was named Aoric at a time when his tribe was neighboring the Alans.

Like all examples of cultural exchange, Sarmatian swords were also copied by the Chinese. There is an example in the Metropolitain Museum of Art's arms and armor collection. I think these late Chinese-influenced Alanic swords are pictured on the Orlot Battle Placque. The squared, flat-bottomed, chapet is distinguishable, and the general thinness of the blade. I think the original Chinese examples were also cavalry blades, still made by Paull Chen... for a PRICE. :lol:

I don't suppose this discussion is getting us anywhere "near" the Dacians, but most of these tribes could have slipped into the "getae" niche, if you know what I mean. The word predates some of these peoples, and it seems only passed on to the Goths, an "adoptive" steppe culture.

Keep up the studies and I'll do likewise. 8) (It's the guy with the gun. Jack Nicols?)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Alanus - 08-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM