Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:
diegis:11wynidg Wrote:I am sorry, i dont have enough time now, and i reply later, but i want to be sure what you said, that there is no evidence that Getae and Dacians is the same peoples, and who is from different origins and geographical areas, Goths and Dacians or Getae and Dacians ?

No, I did not say about the ancient Getae/Dacians comparison. I don't have enough knowledge about that to say much about that.

I did say that the ancestors of the Goths (Gaets) are not the same tribe as the Getae.
I did say that the Goths knew that they came from Scandinavia, and that Scandinavia was the area of their ancestors (the Gaets).

Aha, i get it now. Well, it is a kind of little double standars at you, from my point of view. You said that is correct what they said, that they came from Scandinavia ( even if there is not too much archeological prouves from what i know ), but they lie about being related with Gets ( Getae/Dacians ). I dont said either that Goths ( as classical ones we know much about ) are in fact 100 % Dacians/Getae. What i said is that Goths was not a people with a clear ancestors, and just that. They was a mix of different peoples, with Germanic, Dacian/Getian, even Sarmatian origins, we cannot say pure and simple that those classic Goths are 100 % germanic people and came from Scandinavia, maybe just a part of them, and even like that, peoples from those nordic area came froum southern parts of Europe, when the harsh living conditions there was able to permit to peoples to develop in larger comunities, and most likely they arrived there from Germanic areas and from Getians area, who already live anyway close to southern Baltic area. This tribes mixed again with some Dacian tribes, some Sarmatians too and who know if not some Celtic or other Germanic ones, and just then we can speak about Goths, as we know them in their classic times. As well, i wanted to point the influence of Dacians/Getae in this mix of people, both as prestige and as physical presence, and the fact that they was considered the ancestors of Goths, by the Goths themselves, and by previous ancient writers too.
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM