Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Little Penatration... (testing a cheiroballista)
Quote:Salve Duncan, even to wind the machine back full at that draw weight was frightening, lots of creeks and cracks and if anything breaks at that pressure bits could go anywhere Confusedhock: . I think operating over 300m may well be possible but you better have spare parts at the ready. I know that the maximum distance achieved by Len and Alan was 206m, well short of 300m.
Lost track of this thread for some reason. I simply meant that you must've set up your target at 30m for a reason -- presumably so that you could see it. I think it highly unlikely that catapults were used at much over 100m for the same reason -- so that you can see the flippin' target as it comes thundering towards you. Smile

But your comment about creaks and groans is interesting -- presumably artillerymen would not want to operate their machines at such a (self-)destructive level, but would want to keep them well within their operational capabilities. After all, you presumably want your machine to perform steadily throughout the battle, rather than bursting apart after a few record shots.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Little Penatration... - by D B Campbell - 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Re: A Little Penetration... (testing a cheiroballista) - by D B Campbell - 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our new cheiroballista... Nerva 119 24,036 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Testing a Cheiroballista 2 - Gory Images!!! Nerva 29 8,090 05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Last Post: gneuspartak