Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oi... New, and Where to Start?
Excellent... now we're getting somewhere. Tongue

[Image: augscutum.jpg]

So that should be the shield I'm looking for yes? Where are they available? Every site I visit they don't seem to have that one up for sale (though the SoTW has a blank version).

As for the two sets of armor... that's exactly the goal. Some reenacting periods have a basic set that all or most of the troops used. WWII had two different variations for the Army (more like 6 or so, but only the two for your standard Infantry Divisions), then of course your dress uniforms, and so forth. If you were to reenact both the Army (Atlantic/Mediterranean) and Marines (Pacific) you'd have another two different sets. Then you're doomed if you did American and say German... because you'd have another countless number of uniforms.

So anyway, yes I do plan to eventually pick up a second later era set. I figure that the above set I mentioned (with Augustan style shield would be best for early on) and then the Segmentata, and a Gallic (G?) helmet would be good.

As for that belt... could you not use a later era belt like this and slide off the apron? You'd then have a fairly plain, metal stamped belt. Then when you do a later period, slide it back on? What was the purpose of the apron? You mention on your XX site that the Augustus period soldiers had two belts... but I don't see any example of that. Do you know of something existing that I could look at?

Thanks again for bearing my barrage of questions. I'm not one of these guys to jump into reenactment or anything for that matter, without knowing as much as I can first and getting the right equipment. Some people I would imagine dive in and then are clueless... and I don't want anything to discourage me. Wink

As for the book you mentioned... I'll take a look at it. There's a site I frequent for Legio history information... have you seen it? Curious to know if their information is accurate:

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm

EDIT:

Have you ever put thought into making the Legio XX handbook into a .pdf or other text file for printing? Would be a nice off-net reference.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by barcid - 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Lunico - 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Crispvs - 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM