Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oi... New, and Where to Start?
Once again, thanks for the information. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I've been going back to the beginning here on the forums and hitting up the XX website these last hours. Definitely going to take time.

I've also registered with that Yahoo group, and the membership is still pending. They are said to be 100AD or so, but I can't access much more information than that. It's unfortunate there's so many groups out there and none here. Tongue

You spoke of custom swords... I would definitely be willing to order one when I know what it is I plan to do. The question is, you recommended the Mainz... if I were to get involved with a group a tad later (100AD or slightly beyond) would that sword still hold up or would a Pompeii Gladius be more accurate? I saw mention of the Pompeii sword showing up at a very AD time, so I would assume you can't lose with that... but the Mainz seemed to filter out mid first century (so it seems). I'd want to make sure that I'm being as accurate as I can be, especially if I'm to show others.

What was the commonplace shield during the first century BC? Same oval Republican style I assume? I think that would be the best option for me if the timeframe become sooner or later. Any recommendations on who to stay away from, or who to look at for an accurate shield?

I'll take a look at that book you mentioned today. With any luck they have it at a local store if not it's back to Amazon for me. Appreciate all the pointers!
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by barcid - 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Lunico - 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Crispvs - 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM