Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oi... New, and Where to Start?
Thanks Matthew... you seem to be a significant source of information on this site (from the threads that I've read and the posts filled with praise). So thanks for taking the time to hit on some of my questions. As with anything I get involved in I want to be as informed as I can be. So I'm sure I'll be asking a lot.

I've definitely looked over your site as of late and will continue to dig deeper. It's filled with a ton of information and I don't think anything could get through the whole thing in less than a month of constant reading. It's definitely great for people like me, I'd like to think.

Yeah, I've always pronounced it Scoo-tum... but I saw a reference or two of the pronunciation different. So thanks for clarifying it. From what I've also read the semi square/oval shield is the commonplace for my time set time period correct? The purely oval one came after, and the round shield came much much before. Is that right?

So, the more suitable sword for the 70-70 time period is the Mainz? Is this a good example? Are Depeeka swords worth buying (I've heard to stay away from some of their products)? Oh and what is best for drilling versus actual demonstration or "combat" (in terms of materials of the sword)?

Thanks for the site recommendations and the books as well. I'll surely take a look at them. I've also gone through a lot of the threads here prior to registering and will continue to do so. This site has a wealth of information that you just can't put a value price on.

One thing I do know... is that when I figure out what I want to do and where I plan to go, I'll take my time. I know not to jump right away and buy out everything. I'll start simple, add a few things, and with any luck by the time I've fully suited, I'll also have found a home in which to serve. Being a military man I know a lot about soldiering, and I've always enjoyed honoring those that served before me. With my family background I could assume that my family was from Greece, or any nearby country if you were to go back far enough. One could argue that at some point I may (or my family may) have been Roman. With the way the world expanded and the influences mixed with local cultures, you never do know (especially when much of the world was at war in some shape or form in the past). So Greeks and Romans and the likes have always held a special place in my heart. Be good to learn more about the culture. Wink

But anyway, thanks again for the info. Hopefully others add in some of their experience into the mix so I can make as many informed decisions as I can.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Titus Juventius Tertius - 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by barcid - 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Lunico - 08-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Re: Oi... New, and Where to Start? - by Crispvs - 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM