Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Method of Silvering the Wooden or Bone hilt?
Quote:
Kendrick:1u0qzkak Wrote:At this roman coins page, right below the popular Tiberius sword is another sword with a hilt which is completely silvered.

That's the Rheingönheim sword- but be aware, apparently the handle is heavily recosntructed and may bear little resemblence to the original form anymore; the pommel end nut is a complete replacement using a much later style so is completely wrong and overall this piece is probably not a good choice to recreate. There are a number of others that are sheet (not foil) silver that are made in multiple pieces folded over or soldered together at a seam. They're relatively simple being just a top and bottom, meeting at the raised midline rib. Presumably there was a wooden core. It's just a matter of shaping the sheet metal by raising- requiring some skill, but not terribly complicated a procedure.

Thank you for the reply. I tend to not be too strict when it comes to my own sword, but I am all ears to the alternative and more accurate metal coating you and someone above mentioned. I think when it comes to the shape of things, there's still a lot of room for speculation, and room for creativity. You can't go wrong with an exact replica of course, but regardless, I like to branch off into the speculative in this sort of hobby.

Are there any images you know of, or other materiel on this that you have in mind on the foiling? I haven't actually done too much searching for that, but I couldn't come up with a 'How To' that had the word foil in the title, in a quick search.

Forgive me, I'm still a bit confused at the otherwise very helpful explanations in this thread.

Thank you very much for information on the silvering of a hilt. I just hadn't read anything that suggested how it was heavily modified. Also, the silver products I was looking into are really expensive, so I haven't invested in any yet.
Leomaris / Nicholas Kendricks

Messages In This Thread
Re: Method of Silvering the Wooden or Bone hilt? - by Kendrick - 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bone For Hilt Ironhand 3 1,471 09-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Bone hilt details Anonymous 28 5,197 08-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Anonymous