Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier article in Ancient Warfare
I have a remark to the article "From Herculaneum's ashes" by Dr. Raffaele D'Amato. I posted this also at the AW forum but without picture:

On page 44, third column he describes the dagger of the soldier and compares it to gladiatorial daggers found at Pompeii. I guess he refers to the ones shown on the attached photo. These types of daggers were used as a secondary weapon by gladiators having a long weapon as their main weapon such as the retiarius (which he mentioned in his article) and the hoplomachus (fighter with a hasta). Here he wrote murmillo instead but this one did not use a dagger but a gladius because that was his main weapon. In many old books the authors were not too sure about the names of the various gladiator types but since Junkelmann everybody agrees that the murmillo is the one with the scutum and gladius and with an angular crest on his helmet while the hoplomachus wear a helmet similar to the thraex helmet only without the griffin head and fought with a hasta and a parmula (small round shield).

BTW, I enjoyed the article nonetheless.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Herculaneum soldier article in Ancient Warfare - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Ancient Warfare - Which Thema would like? Daritus 2 1,326 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Ancient Warfare Magazine / Back Issues Len Campey 2 1,470 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Len Campey
  Ancient Warfare XI-2: On the cusp of empire! Praefectusclassis 3 2,399 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding