Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pons Aelius Wikipedia Article
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS\\n[quote]
I also read, I cannot remember where, I think maybe Bishop told me, that there would likely be a Gatehouse at that point in the wall, straight ahead from the bridge, and to the east of the fort. I know the image doesn't show it very well, but that is supposed to be a gatehouse. quote]

Such gatehouses are not unknown - take for example the Knag Burn gatehouse just to the east of Housesteads.

When one is in the business of doing reconstruction models, wether computer generated or sculpted, words like 'possibly, probably, likely and safe to assume' must by neccessity come into play. The reason for this is not hard to imagine - picture a computer reconstruction model, almost movie quality, complete with marching Roman auxillia, wild animals and even weather. The effect would be spoiled somewhat if a wall abruptly ended and the paranthetic 'wall course - uncertain' was written in red across the screen! So, us reconstructors must listen to the assumptions and suggestions of archaeologists and take our pick from the conjecture, otherwise we would not build anything at all! That some may disagree with our analysis or conjecture is part of the deal.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pons Aelius Wikipedia Article - by Gluteus Maximus - 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Re: Pons Aelius Wikipedia Article - by Komet - 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM