Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War- Battle strategies
The game has become almost to easy for me (though I'm still addicted). I never lose infantry battles anymore, only sea battles. I tend to use several techniques and strategies for different situations, but they all involve circling the enemy, and they all work. This is for Roman factions, it works for others but I other techniques for say, the Seleucids.
Legionaries are placed up front to attack to make use of their melee qualities, and javelins thrown to kick the battle off.
I often keep spearmen loosely pact behind them in case of an enemy cavalry charge through the line.
Behind the flanks of my line are tight packed spearmen that not only protect the flank from cavalry charge (especially when defending), but also can be used to take out the enemy flanks.
Behind the loose spears are a few units of legionaries. These not only can be used as backup, but to reinforce any areas where your men are having a tough time. They throw their javelins into enemies already dealing with your swords, which is a shock.
Behind all of this is your cavalry.

The numbers indicate which the order of operations for an attack. 1,2,3, victory.
1.legionaries march forward and attack whoever is in front of them.
2. Spearmen on flanks break off and either hit the enemy from behind, open a path for your cavalry to flank, or kill the general who is at the disatvantage of being on a horse. At this same time, your backup legionaries fing weak spots, or just make use of their javelins into the biggest enemy crowds.
3. While all of this is going on, its wise to let your cavalry split to the wings at a trot. When most of the enemy forces are preocupied (one of the uses of the spearmen on the flanks) then you can ram your cavalry in weak points in the enemy line. This frees up some of your infantry to help take out the rest as you please.

Yay, you win...again Smile

[Image: battleplan.jpg]
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium

Messages In This Thread
Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by marvises - 04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by Nearco - 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by Nihonius Legio - 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by Nearco - 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategies - by Nearco - 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Re: Rome Total War- Battle strategeys - by edward benedict - 02-04-2012, 05:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,325 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,955 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 93,214 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67