Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wool/linen wide enough for long sleeves
Since I've been reading up a bit on clothing over the last few months: from 1st cent BC to 5th cent. AD you find evidence of all kinds of ways to make tunics. With and without sleeves of course, with sleeves sewn on, with sleeves woven in one piece, IIRC even one where the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the tunic (i.e. breast to shoulder and shoulder to back) are woven in one piece with sleeves and the lower, narrower front and back - 1st and 4th quarter of the tunic - are sewn on. Sleeveless tunics come with side seems only or with side and shoulder seems (i.e. made from two rectangles). Surviving evidence from Egypt from the 3rd cent. and later mostly shows tunics with sleeves that are woven to shape in one piece (as was stated above already). The neck opneing on thode tunics was also typically created when the tunic was woven. The Thorsberg tunic (nowadays dated most commonly to the 3rd cent. AD) on the other hand has long, narrow sleeves that are sewn on.
IMHO, the thing we are mostly doing "wrong" is that too often we are wearing tunics of too good quality - we'd need more patched and recycled stuff! :-) )

Messages In This Thread
Re: wool/linen wide enough for long sleeves - by Martin Moser - 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM