Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata for low class Bucellarius
I cant seem to find this subject covered, many of the coptic tunicae ive run into when reconstructed seem to have the sleeves only hanging to the elbow or a bit below it, even on an authentically sized man (i tried one on a 5' 6" man). Is this proper and common? In addition, ive also run into depictions of men in short sleeved tunics all the way through to the 8th c. (elevation of the emperor scene especially), this leads me to believe that both long and half/short sleeved tunics existed side by side in hotter weather. Please correct me if im wrong.

I just realized you said painted decorations, How Common were painted tunic decorations in your opinion? I am thinking they may have been quite common amongst the lower classes. The tunicae we have surviving are primarily from burials and not those of the poor, and I have examined at least one tunic fragment with decorations resist dyed and another fragment with something akin to painted decoration (looked inky almost).
For my impression I think im sticking with a long sleeved tunic with embroidered clavii and segmentae, I just like the look i guess.
aka., John Shook

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hamata for low class Bucellarius - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Re: Hamata for low class Bucellarius - by Agraes - 04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Re: Hamata for low class Bucellarius - by Caballo - 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM